Wednesday, November 28, 2012
11/28/2012 08:43:00 AM | Posted by Jacob Noble | Edit Post
Horray! Basketball is BACK in New York! Below is the official press release from the NBA:
NEW YORK, Nov 28, 2012 – Reigning NBA Finals MVP LeBron James of the Miami Heat reclaims the No.1 spot on the NBA top-selling jerseys list and the New York Knicks are the top-selling team for the first time since December 2004. The list is based on sales at the NBA Store on Fifth Avenue and on NBAStore.com from April 2012 through Nov. 26, 2012, a record breaking Thanksgiving holiday weekend.
James, who last held the top spot in April 2011, climbs from No. 4, taking the lead away from the Chicago Bulls’ Derrick Rose, who slips to No. 5. At No. 2 on the list is the Oklahoma City Thunder’s Kevin Durant, who, after making his NBA Finals debut in June, catapults from the No. 8 spot. Also included in the top five are the Los Angeles Lakers’ Kobe Bryant (No. 3), and New York Knicks’ Carmelo Anthony (No. 4).
Since 2001, Bryant has claimed the No. 1 position six times in the bi-annual survey, while James has held it three times.
The Knicks rose from No. 2 to No.1 to emerge as the top-selling team, overtaking the top spot from the Bulls, who are No. 4 this season. The 2012 NBA champion Heat came in at No. 2, the Lakers at No. 3, and Boston Celtics at No. 5.
Additional highlights:It's also cool to see who the most popular players are in terms of jersey sales. It's nice seeing some players move up and some players move down. List after the jump.
· The Thunder’s Russell Westbrook debuts at No. 12.
· The Celtics’ Rajon Rondo and the Los Angeles Clippers’ Chris Paul each move up four spots from last year to Nos. 6 and 10, respectively.
· The Lakers were the only team with three players on the list, with Bryant (No. 3), and new additions Dwight Howard (No. 9) and Steve Nash (No. 13).
NBAStore.com had its largest Cyber Monday in history on Nov. 26, with sales up double-digits over 2011. This year marks the seventh season that adidas has served as the official oncourt uniform and apparel provider of the NBA.
Top 15 Most Popular NBA Jerseys:
1. LeBron James, Miami Heat
2. Kevin Durant, Oklahoma City Thunder
3. Kobe Bryant, Los Angeles Lakers
4. Carmelo Anthony, New York Knicks
5. Derrick Rose, Chicago Bulls
6. Rajon Rondo, Boston Celtics
7. Dwyane Wade, Miami Heat
8. Blake Griffin, Los Angeles Clippers
9. Dwight Howard, Los Angeles Lakers
10. Chris Paul, Los Angeles Clippers
11. Deron Williams, Brooklyn Nets
12. Russell Westbrook, Oklahoma City Thunder
13. Steve Nash, Los Angeles Lakers
14. Paul Pierce, Boston Celtics
15. Dirk Nowitzki, Dallas Mavericks
Top 10 Most Popular Team Merchandise:
1. New York Knicks
2. Miami Heat
3. Los Angeles Lakers
4. Chicago Bulls
5. Boston Celtics
6. Oklahoma City Thunder
7. Brooklyn Nets
8. Los Angeles Clippers
9. San Antonio Spurs
10. Dallas Mavericks