Tuesday, May 25, 2010
5/25/2010 08:29:00 AM | Posted by Jacob Noble | Edit Post
Dwight Howard had 32 points and 16 rebounds, and Jameer Nelson made back-to-back 3-pointers in overtime to lead the Orlando Magic to a 96-92 victory over Boston on Monday night to avoid a four-game sweep in the Eastern Conference finals.
"At some point, somebody is going to come from 3-0 down and win a series. The only thing I knew for sure was it would start by winning Game 4," Magic coach Stan Van Gundy said. "I figured that one out. You have to win Game 4. ... This was a must-win."
Paul Pierce had 32 points and 11 rebounds, and Kevin Garnett had 14 points and 12 boards for Boston. Ray Allen hit consecutive 3-pointers in overtime, but Pierce missed two tries in the final minute as the Celtics failed to complete the sweep.
"They don't want to leave. We're going to have to throw them out," said Celtics forward Glen "Big Baby" Davis. "It's just like somebody renting a house."
"There were a couple of plays down the stretch offensively that we botched, plain and simple. We're kicking ourselves. We had a great opportunity," Allen said. "There's no need to panic. We like the position we're in. But it's a lesson: We have to take care of the small things and we'll get to where we want to be."
"I know they [the Celtics players] heard it. They had no choice but to hear it," Celtics coach Doc Rivers said. "I don't know if they believed it. We didn't play well, I know that. I hope that wasn't the reason."
"You never know what can happen," Magic guard J.J. Redick said. "We can be like the Red Sox, coming back from 0-3. You never know."
But Pierce missed a jumper with a chance to give Boston the lead, Nelson missed for Orlando and Pierce lost his handle on the ball in the final seconds of regulation to send the game into overtime.
NBA Playoffs 2013
- Third Round
- (2) SA Spurs vs (5) Memphis Grizzlies
- (1) Miami Heat vs (3) Indiana Pacers
- Second Round
- (1) Miami Heat vs (5) Chicago Bulls
- (2) NY Knicks vs (3) Indiana Pacers
- (1) OKC Thunder vs (5) Memphis Grizzlies
- (2) San Antonio Spurs vs (6) GS Warriors
- First Round
- (1) OKC Thunder vs (8) Houston Rockets
- (2) San Antonio Spurs vs (7) LA Lakers
- (3) Denver Nuggets vs (6) GS Warriors
- (4) LA Clippers vs (5) Memphis Grizzlies
- (1) Miami Heat vs (8) Milwaukee Bucks
- (2) New York Knicks vs (7) Boston Celtics
- (3) Indiana Pacers vs (6) Atlanta Hawks
- (4) Brooklyn Nets vs (5) Chicago Bulls